Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Recipe #7 Day 7

Day 7 of 30 1 week down, 3 weeks to go
Seven Layer Cookie Bars

I'm going to leave the notes I've written below on this blog but honestly, this recipe did not turn out as well as I thought it would. The bars never became firm enough to know that they were done. I ended up cooking them for 4 hours to see if they would look done but they never did. As a result, I would say cook them for the full 3 hours, remove and let sit till firm. Don't expect them to get firm in the cooker. I cut them and put them in an air tight container overnight and today they are actually pretty tasty. My sons liked them. I have all the ingredients left over to try another batch, I may do that and see if they come out a little better.

2nd note: The blog that won't stop...........ok, made another batch. Turned out much better, I only cooked them 3 hours, let sit for 1/2 hour, cut into wedges, put in air tight container and they are actually very good. I just expected them to "look done", they never did. Allowing them to cool helped, they still look kinda shiny, not dry like Toll House bar cookies would look. Still taste good and my kids were fighting over them, they even added a scoop of vanilla ice cream with it. I had a bite, very yummy.

11:00 am I have a feeling this is going to be a big winner in my house. There is only one catch. You don't actually put the ingredients directly into the slow cooker. You'll need to find a small cake pan that will fit in the bottom of the slow cooker (the heavy insert). I used an 8" mini baker from Pampered Chef. Since everyone has a different slow cooker, you'll just have to find a cake pan that will fit in the bottom of your cooker.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup crushed graham crackers
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup nuts, chopped (I used walnuts)
1/2 sweetened condensed milk

Melt butter and put in bottom of cake pan. Swirl butter around bottom of pan so it goes up the sides of the cake pan to provide for a non-stick surface. Continue to layer in the order listed. Each time, spread out ingredient evenly. Do not stir, keep everything in layers. Place cake pan in bottom of slow cooker, cover with lid, cook 2-3 hours on HIGH or until firm. Cool in pan, invert to remove from pan then re-invert to serve. (so that the nuts are on top)


Bon' Appetit'

1 comment: