Thursday, September 24, 2009

Recipe # 14 Day 14

Day 14 of 30 2 weeks down, 2 weeks to go!
Mary Ann's Italian Meatloaf
From the Fix it & Forget it Cookbook

If your a meatloaf fan, this is a easy variation from which I think is probably 1 of thousands of meat loaf recipes. It was so easy & quick and my kids really liked it. Now, do they like it more than a McDonald's hamburger, NO, but did they eat it and not complain, YES.
Here's my theory: We've been accustomed to eating out so often in the past few years that every evening was a culinary feast. Everything they ate tasted really, really good and then when they ate at home, it seemed boring & less tasty. Well, I feel some nights are more like an average meal, then when you do go out, it is more of a treat. I'd like my kids to get used to more home cooked meals than being able to recite five local restaurant menus by heart.
Just my 2 cents.


2 lbs. ground beef, I got 80/20 beef.
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup quick-cooking oats (I used the regular slow cooking oats and it was fine)
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1/2 cup pasta sauce (your favorite)
1 tsp. garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste
onion slices

Combine ground beef, eggs, oats, soup mix, pasta sauce, and garlic powder. Place into bottom of slow cooker and using the back of a fork, push mixture down until you have a flat surface. Garnish top with onion slices.
Cover; cook on LOW 8 hours.
Allow loaf to cool for about 1/2 hour in slow cooker with lid on it for loaf to become firm.
Serve with more heated pasta sauce over the top.

I served this with canned, sliced potatoes that I fried with just a tsp. of vegetable oil in a skillet till brown on the edges & applesauce sprinkled with cinnamon.

Surprisingly, all three kiddo's cleaned their plates without prompting or feeding it to the dog.
Success !!!

have no clue what I'm doing tomorrow. Need to get a plan and get to the store. Might be Kim's tortilla soup.

Bon' Appetit'

No comments:

Post a Comment