Thursday, September 10, 2009

Recipe #1 Day 1

Day 1 of 30
Turkey Breast with Pecan Cranberry Stuffing

I had to do this recipe because it was a cover recipe on a Slow Cooker Recipe book I have. It looked fabulous although I think is was just ok.

I had to purchase a 4 lb. fresh turkey breast and that was not easy to find. Luckily, the very nice (&helpful) meat guy at Publix helped me out. We picked a 6 lb. fresh whole turkey and he took out the bone for me, re-wrapped it and gave it to me. He even gave me a little "how to cut" lesson. Very interesting. My daughter thought is was "GROSS". Homeschooling at it's finest, I guess.

The stuffing was pecans, cranberries and poultry seasoning stuck between slices in the turkey breast. It cooked for 6 hours (plus a little more, Kim you know why!). Last step, mix peach preserves with worsheshire sauce, drizzle on top, cook 10 more minutes and it was done. I served it with fresh asparagus, same as the cover picture. Kids did not much like it. My 13 yr. old boy said, "Mom, turkey shouldn't be mixed with fruit". They ate it reluctantly, all 3 kids said they liked the fresh steamed asparagus better. Guess that says a lot.

Aside from the B- overall grade I gave it, I thought it was pretty good. It reminded me of a thanksgiving turkey dinner, definitely a fall recipe. I felt like it was a little dry and needed seasoning with salt & pepper, something I feel food should not have to "need".

Wouldn't make it again because the turkey breast set me back $20 alone and the family didn't rave over it. Good first start overall and I believe it or not, I was still at the grocery store at 4pm. Ugh ! (forgot the worsheshire sauce) Great to see Kim. B though.

See ya tomorrow, a beef recipe planned. Not a big meat fan but kids like it so I'm givin' it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment