Saturday, September 12, 2009

Recipe #3 Day 3

Day 3 of 30
Mixed Berry Cobbler

Had to do a dessert recipe since, honestly, I've never tried a dessert in a slow cooker. Dairy Queen is always more than sufficient for me & my family.

The fruit part inspired me because it "sounded" healthy but everything else after that fell in more of the "really tasty" category rather than healthy. Oh well, 1 serving can count as a fruit serving if nothing else.

1 pkg. mixed frozen fruit (16 oz bag). I used the mixed berries (rasp/blue/straw)
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. quick cooking tapioca (dry)
2 tsp. grated lemon peel, finely chopped
put all 4 ingredients in bottom of slow cooker, turn on LOW.
mix together in a separate bowl:
1 1/2 cup flour
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
mix till blended
add:
3/4 milk
1/3 cup melted butter
and mix entire mixture just until lumps are gone. Spoon over top of fruit mixture.
Cover.
Cook on LOW for 4 hours. Remove cover and let sit 30 min.
Makes 5-7 servings depending on serving size.

Serve with ice cream, I used Mayfield's Vanilla Bean

Again, super easy and it was fun to watch it turn into a cobbler, kinda like watching a cake bake yet much slower. (sounds similar to watching grass grow perhaps) Kids kept opening up the top, anxious for it to be done.
When I think of a recipe being "rich" I think of chocolate, but this was a really rich dessert. I think the sugar could be cut down significantly and it would still be good. Husband and two sons LOVED it, I don't think they came up for air. Next time I would use less sugar and add a granola-like topping. I've gotten away from using a lot of white sugar so this seemed especially sweet to me. I like more natural flavors but overall, this was delicious. It would be great for a dinner party where you served dinner, had this finishing in the slow cooker and then served it a while after dinner. It was excellent and seemed very fancy and "restaurant-like". I think this would also be good with peaches.

Note: When shopping for ingredients for the slow cooker recipes, buy 2-3 days of ingredients at a time, it really feels like a load off my mind when I have a plan for the next three days. Who knows what will happen in the next three days otherwise but at least I know whats for dinner.......

Yes, so far, cooking in the slow cooker is making my life easier but all it is doing is providing me more time to do the cleaning I'm having a hard time getting to. UGH ! I've found out, "dust bunnies" are very patient beings. :)

Bon' Appetit'

No comments:

Post a Comment