Monday, October 26, 2009

Sweet Potato Soup

Had to try this one.  Just for the nutritional content alone is what initially drew me to this recipe.  And it's soup weather.

3 sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped into cubes
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 (15 oz) can sliced mangoes, and their juices
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 cup heavy cream.

Place potato cubes in bottom of slow cooker.  Add broth, mangoes & their juice and allspice.  Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.  When the potatoes are tender, blend 1/3 of mixture at a time in blender.  Add heavy cream to blender with each blending.   Serve warm.

I could not find mangoes in a can so I used used fresh, peeled & diced.  I added the 1/2 cup heavy cream but next time I'd reduce it down to 1/4 cup.   I was missing the extra liquid from the mangoes in the can so I added 1/4 cup broth.   I thought it was a little too thick but overall the taste was WONDERFUL.  So healthy.  I'd like to see how it would taste with the mangoes in the can with juice.  Will continue to be on the lookout for them.

Would be perfect alongside a warm sandwich.   Great Flavor, very sweet & tasteful.

Bon' Appetit'

No comments:

Post a Comment