Saturday, October 3, 2009

Recipe # 21 Day 21

Day 21 of 30
Chalupas
Dry pinto beans need to soak overnight. I've truly never soaked dry beans, I've always used canned which concerns me because of the sodium content. This should be interesting to compare dry to canned.

This recipe was just OK. I liked all the steps and thought it would be a good recipe but I feel like the meat was sorta bland. It was a 3 lb. pork roast with seasonings and dry pinto beans. I did exactly as said, cook for 6 hours, shred meat, return and cook on high for 1 hour and I felt like the beans were still undercooked. I cooked the mixture another hour on high and it was bubbling then I thought it was done. I served it on a bed of romaine lettuce, shredded pork, shredded cheese, diced onions and diced tomatoes. It had all the components of a delicious, light meal but it was bland. I think it needed more of a "taco seasoning" flavor rather than 3 to four spices.

With the left overs I am going to add a pkg. of taco seasoning to the meat, put it in a flour tortilla with cheese and serve as a burrito topped with salsa. I think this would be good. Will let you know. 5:00 pm update: Ok, served these as burritos for lunch. It was good with the taco seasoning, not great. I probably won't do this again and if I do, I'll play around with the seasonings.

Bon' Appetit'

No comments:

Post a Comment