Thursday, October 15, 2009

Recipe # 28 Day 28

Day 28 of 30
Potato, Corn & Clam Chowder
Perfect for a cold day !

I thought this was really good and very, very easy.  If you like corn, this is a chowder for you.  My kids love corn so this was a winner for them.

1 bag (16 oz) frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed  (I used the cubed kind)
1 can (15.25 oz) whole kernal corn, undrained
1 can (14.75 oz) cream-style corn
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup chopped celery
8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 small can minced clams
1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. pepper

Mix all ingredients in slower cooker.  Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.

Notes:  I feel like the potatoes became too mushy, I may have overcooked this.  I would only cook for 5-6 hours next time.  Also, I tried using turkey bacon instead of regular bacon and I think it affected the flavor.  It needed more of that "bacon-y" flavor, I will use regular bacon next time.  I used the already cooked bacon, love that option.  Just cut it up and put it in.   I also might try using a few baking potatoes cut up into small cubes instead of the frozen hash brown potatoes.

I thought the flavor was good but could have been spiced up a bit.  I'm going to try regular bacon next time and I might even try adding some fresh broccoli to add more nutrition.  Overall, great recipe.

Bon' Appetit'

No comments:

Post a Comment