Thursday, October 1, 2009

Recipe # 20 Day 20

Day 20 of 30
Broccoli Corn Bread
My kids love broccoli and they love corn bread so let's see if they like 'em together.

I, personally thought this was really good but I was really the only one. If you've ever had corn casserole, it tasted very similar. As you scan down the ingredients, you'll get an idea of what it would taste like. It's a side dish and would be good served with ham or pork, it just seems like it would fit with that. Or perhaps for a brunch. I would call this more a "ladies" favorite. It's not that the kids didn't like it, they just thought it was OK. I would do it again.

1 stick margarine, melted
10 oz. pkg. chopped frozen broccoli, cooked and drained
1 onion, chopped
1 box Jiffy corn bread
4 eggs, well beaten
8 oz. cottage cheese
1 1/4 tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients. Mix well.
Pour into greased slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 6 hours or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. I only ended up cooking mine for 5 hours. The edges started to get brown so I went ahead and turned off the slow cooker.
Serve like spoon bread or cut into wedges and remove with a flexible spatula.

My notes: As I typed the ingredients I realized I didn't "cook" the broccoli. I just thawed it, drained it and put it in. It turned out fine. I did not use a whole onion, I used about 1/2 of a medium onion. I think it needs to sit for 15 minutes after cooking if your going to slice it into wedges, just enough time to allow it to firm up.

Approx. cost: $5.00
EASY and would be perfect for a ladies luncheon.

Bon' Appetit'

No comments:

Post a Comment